IPS / Lighthouse Insurance Group Blog: deer crash
View the latest blog posts from IPS / Lighthouse Insurance Group.
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2014
Did you know?
Tips to avoid a car-deer crash:
- Car-deer crashes are a year-round problem in Michigan. During 2012, there were 48,918 reported car-deer crashes.
- A car-deer crash occurs every nine minutes.
- The average car-deer crash causes $2,100 in damage, usually to the front end, and often leaves the vehicle un-drivable
If a crash is unavoidable:
- Stay aware, awake and sober.
- Drive at a safe speed.
- Observe your surroundings.
- Pay attention to deer crossing signs. They are placed at known deer crossing areas.
- Deer are herd animals and frequently travel in single file. If you see one cross the road, chances there will be more following.
- Always wear your safety belt.
Article Source: Michigan Millers Mutual Insurance Company
- DON'T SWERVE. Brake firmly, stay in your lane, hold onto the steering wheel and bring your vehicle to a controlled stop.
- PULL OFF THE ROAD. Turn on your emergency flashers and be cautious of other traffic if you leave your vehicle.
- DON'T ATTEMPT TO REMOVE A DEER from the roadway unless you are convinced it is dead. An injured deer's sharp hooves can easily hurt you.
- REPORT A CRASH to the nearest police agency and your insurance agent.