Did you know?
- An estimated 53,000 electrical fires occur in U.S. homes each year. These fires cause more than 500 deaths, 1,400 injuries, and $1.4 billion in property damage
- The leading causes of building fires is poor maintenance of the electrical system
- Most electrical fires and injuries could be prevented if homeowners would take the time to have their electrical systems inspected
Health home tips on electrical safety
Article source: Michigan Millers Insurance Company
- Have the wiring in your home inspected. Owners of homes more than 10 years old should be considered for inspection. If your home is over 40 years old, an inspection is overdue.
- Install ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets in the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry area of your home
- Never place electrical cords under rugs or bedding. Heat or sparks from these cords could cause a fire.
- Frequently tripped circuit breakers, shocks and hot electrical switches are warnings that something is wrong with your electrical system or with an appliance in your home.
- Hire a licensed professional to make repairs or modifications to your home's electrical system.
- Install cover plates on all electrical outlets and switches.
- Use 3-pronged plugs properly. The third prong is there because the appliance must be grounded to prevent electrical shocks.
- Be aware not to overload outlets. Extension cords shouldn't be used as permanent fixtures in home rebuilding.
- Once a building reaches 30 years, the wiring needs to be upgraded, updated or replaced to meet current code.